Attention CSUN Students:
If you're thinking of transferring course work from another school to CSUN, review the transfer information on this page and in the University Catalog.
You may want to take a course at another accredited institution to fulfill GE or lower-division major requirements.
Only 70 units from a community college can be applied to the total units toward a CSUN degree. If you take a community college course past the 70-unit limit, the class can meet a course requirement and will become part of your cumulative GPA, but no additional units will be earned toward the minimum number of units required to graduate.
Transferring General Education (GE) Courses to CSUN:
- Use ASSIST to check whether or not GE courses at California community colleges will transfer to CSUN to meet an outstanding GE requirement.
- To request GE information for a school not in ASSIST—if you are currently enrolled at CSUN—complete the online GE Information Request.
Transferring Major Requirements to CSUN:
- Use ASSIST to check whether or not lower division courses in your major offered at California community colleges will transfer to CSUN to meet an outstanding major requirement.
- If unsure about ASSIST information or to request major information for a school not in ASSIST, contact your academic department.
- Save time and money! Electronic transcripts that CSUN receives through the eTranscript California system are sent, and can be evaluated, quickly. If you are transferring course work from a California community college, please see the instructions at eTranscript California.
Course Repeat Policy
University requirements state that if you want to repeat a course to improve your CSUN GPA, you need to retake that course at CSUN. If you repeat the course at another institution, the CSUN grade will not be forgiven.
If you have passed a course at CSUN and repeat that same course at another institution, you cannot receive credit for the transfer course.
Learn more at: Repeat Policy
Transfer Work for Graduate Programs
Credit for work performed in extension or at another regionally accredited institution is subject to certain limitations. Please refer to the University Catalog Transfer Work for Graduate Programs Policy.
Your Right to Know > Select "Transfer of Credit Information"