Jazz Audition Procedure for FALL 2020
- To register and upload your video pre-screen/audition, use CSUN Music Audition link when open
- More information may be found at csunjazz.com
- Don't forget to apply to the University as well. Deadline for Fall 2020 is November 30, 2019
AUDITIONING FOR THE JAZZ MAJOR
Pre-screen Video Audition
Introduce yourself and explain why you want to study jazz at CSUN. (1-2 minutes)
1. Jazz Standards
Prepare 3 "standard" tunes for performance with rhythm section. Live musicians are recommended but not required.
- Medium to Fast Swing
- Straight 8th (bossa nova, samba)
Play the melody, solo (any length), and play the melody out.
Piano, guitar, vibes: "comp" 2 choruses (in addition to soloing)
Bass: walk two choruses (in addition to soloing)
Pianists, bassists vibraphonists and guitarists should play one of their standard tunes unaccompanied. (No comping or walking bass required for this)
Examples of standards: All The Things You Are, Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, But Beautiful, Darn That Dream, My Romance, There will Never Be Another You, Yesterdays, Watch What Happens, Triste, Like Someone In Love, Take the A Train, There is Not Greater Love, Billie’s Bounce, Oleo, Blue Monk, Body and Soul, etc.
2. For Drums/Percussion
Drums should demonstrate over the course of their audition:
- Keeping time behind a soloist
- Trading fours or eighths
- Soloing over the form
In place of the ballad, prepare a solo piece (2-5 minutes), demonstrating various styles, including:
- Medium and fast swing
- Funk or hip-hop or soul
- Straight 8th (bossa nova, mambo, samba, songo, etc.)
Applicants who move to the next round will be asked to do these things in a live audition. A rhythm section will be provided.